Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Bird's Eye View

After my 'Perspective' post on Monday, I received an email from Robin - she's a reader, a client, and a friend. When I read her email, I immediately thought that you might like to hear her perspective on MY perspective, so I asked her if I could share it here. She said yes, and so, without further ado, here's Robin:

'Debi, I really loved your blog post the other day. As a 'non-traditional retailer', it really struck a nerve with me.

Your blog was great because many consumers do not realize just how much time, effort, money, planning, packing, unpacking, moving heavy boxes happened before they arrived. No matter how much I try to plan in advance for a show, for some reason the week before I have tons of ideas and am lucky to get five hours of sleep a night. I know you can relate to this! (oh yeah , I can!)

This also brings up yet another point: Some consumers feel that if you are at a show, you should be willing to sell your items at a discount. I decided long ago that I would not discount my items. First, it would not be fair to my loyal clients who always pay full price and secondly, it would not be fair to myself. I politely tell the shopper that each item takes up to five days to make and it cannot be sold for less. I have found that usually they will still buy and then feel that the item has even more value. You cannot control what the customer will say, but you can control how you react to the questions and always maintain your own standards.

So sorry for the soapbox!!! Once again another great blog. Thank you so much. -Robin'

Robin, that's a fabulous soapbox you are standing on! Keep it up!
To find Robin's absolutely gorgeous products, visit her blog at http://robinkingdesigns.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment